Do you have misshapen or discolored teeth? You can really enhance your smile by opting for dental veneers. They are wafer-thin shells that a dental expert places on the surface of your tooth, covering any present flaws. After the procedure, you will have a picture-perfect Hollywood smile. No one wants to lose their ideal smile soon, so it raises a question: how long do veneers last? We will talk about it in this blog.
How Long Do Veneers Last?
The lifespan of veneers depends on the type you have. Porcelain veneers tend to last for as long as 15 years. On the other hand, composite veneers usually have a lifespan of 7 years. You can extend their lifespan and make sure they do not fail soon by following proper oral care techniques.
When You Need to Replace Your Veneers
You will enjoy a confident and pearly smile with dental veneers. However, there will come a time when you will need new veneers, no matter how well you take care of them. In some cases, you may need to replace the veneers before time. These situations include the following:
- Wearing Away or Chipped Veneers: You will need to get new veneers if you crack your old ones. Many reasons could be behind worn down or chipped veneers, such as accidents, injuries, etc. If you use your teeth to open packages, that can damage your veneers as well as your teeth.
- Decay in the Tooth: Veneers might improve the appearance of your tooth, but they do not make it any stronger. The supporting tooth is still vulnerable to decay, which can cause the veneer to pull away. You should visit a dentist right away if that happens!
- Improper Dental Hygiene: It is a must to keep up with your dental hygiene to keep your teeth and gums healthy, but it is even more important when you receive veneers. Otherwise, your veneers will become discolored, and other issues can take place as well.
- Gum Disease: You will need to replace your dental veneers if you are suffering from gum disease. It is a serious condition that can cause a gap between the veneers and the gums. Visit a periodontist as soon as possible and get it checked!
- Improper Fitting: Your veneers need proper fitting, or they will fall off. If this is the case, visit your dentist for a proper fitting. This will fix the issue!
- Wrong Size: Another situation where you will need new veneers is if they are the wrong size. Worry not, though; your dentist can fix it. Visit them and get your veneers in the right size.
You can look forward to a beautiful smile with dental veneers, which can last from 7 to 15 years, depending on the material. Sometimes, you will need to replace it before time, like when it becomes cracked, or you get gum disease. Consult your dentist for the solution!
At Houston Dental Implant Center, we have quality solutions for you. Dr. Carlos Soucy specializes in prosthodontics and works alongside his team to treat your dental concerns. He will make sure your porcelain veneers are perfect! Dial (713) 664-1661 to book an appointment with us!